Name of the activity: ARTERI
Country/NMO: Indonesia (CIMSA-ISMKI)
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Type of the activity: Education. Education on health issues for specific societal groups, either in the form of projects (set of tasks for a certain group over a fixed period of time), events (something notable that happens) or conferences (form meeting about ideas related to a particular topic, usually over several days).
Awas Resiko Tekanan Darah Tinggi (ARTERI) is an authentic local project of CIMSA UNRI with the general theme Coronary Heart Disease (CHD), and aims to increase knowledge about the disease as well as how to detect and prevent it by modification of certain unhealthy lifestyle choices. It was held on October 27, 2018 in Puskesmas Melur, Pekanbaru as one of the health institution that serves the third highest cases for hypertension in the city. We had two speakers that gave lectures about CHD, hypertension, and how to prevent them. In the end we also had free blood cholesterol test for all the participants who came.
Based on data from Pekanbaru Health Office in 2018, it was found that there were 12,391 people with hypertension in the city. There are 3 regions in Pekanbaru with the highest number of hypertension, they are Tenayan Raya (1,850 people), Payung Sekaki (1,432) and Melur (1,253). Due to the strategic location and suitable time, we chose to hold ARTERI Activity in Puskesmas Melur, Pekanbaru.
Objectives and indicators of success:
• Specific: To increase knowledge (80%) of the target participants about hypertension and Coronary Heart Disease
• Measurable: This activity aims to have approximately thirty people from people outside medical field to be its participants
• Achievable: The goal for this Activity can be achieved if the participant quota is sufficed and the success indicators are met
• Relevant: This Activity targets people from an area in Pekanbaru that has the third highest number of people with hypertension. This Activity is also in line with one of CIMSA Programs: Non-communicable Diseases
• Time-Bound: This Activity was held on Saturday, October 27th, 2018.
• 80% of all expected participants attended the Activity
• Participants score average 80% on post-test
• Successfully holding the Activity by expected date
To achieve the objective of increasing the participants’ knowledge about Coronary Heart Disease and hypertension, we invited a consultant doctor in cardiopulmonary diseases, dr. Jajang Sinardja, Sp.JP FIHA FAPSIC, to give a lecture about Coronary Heart Disease (CHD). In the lecture he explained in an easy-to-understand language about what and how a CHD could occur.
After that, we had another lecturer, dr. Imelda Tresia Pardede, M.Gizi, Sp.KK, to teach about lifestyle modification and hypertension. In this session, the lecturer explained about how change in daily lifestyle can greatly avert a person from hypertension and the likeliness of Coronary Heart Disease. Next, we opened a Q&A session so that the participants were free to ask about things they did not understand. The last session for the Activity was free blood cholesterol checkup
Plans for evaluation:
We monitored the participants’ attendance by having them write their names in an attendance list, then monitor their knowledge by creating a pre-test and post-test and compare the result. We assessed them also by paying attention to the questions asked during the Q&A.
Evaluation for the Activity was done by interviewing a number of participants and collecting all members of organizing committee to ask for opinion and critiques during the whole preparation for the Activity.