Name of the activity: Blue Circle: World Diabetes Day Celebration 2017
Country/NMO: Bangladesh (BMSS)
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Campaign
As Bangladesh has a disproportionately high diabetic population, we would like to improve the condition by various efforts such as
1. Poster Competition:
Non scientific poster competition to raise awareness about diabetes.
a. Printed and
Topic: Non scientific posters which should be focused on Diabetes Awareness and World Diabetes Day 2017.
Judging Criteria :
Clarity and suitability to general public – 40%
2. Celebration of World Diabetes Day 2017 in association with Ibrahim Cardiac Hospital & Research Institute and Diabetic Association of Bangladesh through rally, several seminars and so on.
3. Road Show For Diabetes: We believe in reaching out to the community. Gorgeous “road show for health” to raise awareness among the masses.
4. Training session on “First Aid for Hypoglycemia: Detection and Management” being conducted by reputed doctors.
To provide comprehensive knowledge to the trainees about Diabetes mellitus and primary management of hypoglycemia in diabetic patients.
1. Introduction of Diabetes
2. Counselling criteria of a diabetic patient
3. Counselling context of Healthy and Diabetic Free Life
4. First Aid and primary management of hypoglycemic and hyperglycemic patient:
A. Check for responsiveness
B. Basic life support module
C. History of major co morbidities
D. Identification of Diabetic Emergency – i. Sign of hypoglycemia,
ii. Sign of hyperglycemia
E. Emergency Action Plan: i. for suspected hypoglycemia
ii. for suspected hyperglycemia
iii. Undifferentiated diabetic emergency
5. The interested trained students can contact with us if they want to arrange awareness campaign in their respective Medical College campuses and local communities. They will be provided with guidelines and logistics for the campaign.
According to International Diabetes Federation’s Diabetes Atlas, there are 415 million people with diabetes in the world. The number will rise to 642 million by 2040.
According to recent WHO reports, Bangladesh has a disproportionately high diabetic population with more than 8.4% of the adult population affected by the disease. The number will be 13.6 million in 2040. Nearly half of the population with diabetes, 51.2%, don’t know that they have diabetes and don’t receive any treatment.
So SCOPH, BMSS is gonna take some initiatives to aware people about diabetes providing RBS checkup, Counselling, Rally, Postering Etc
Target groups and beneficiaries:
Mass people mostly elderly and underprivileged from health services from different divisions of Bangladesh will be covered through this project. We are planning to reach them through multiple outdoor program arranged by members of BMSS
Objectives and indicators of success:
Enhancing knowledge about diabetic patient management and counselling power of medical students- evaluation after training session
Mass people engagement- changing of their lifestyle
1. poster competition- from where some advertise material about this topic will be collected. After that, those posters will be printed and used as an awareness medium.
2. Rally, Sessions, Seminar on Diabetes to spread the hype of WDD celebration
3. Training Sessions on “First Aid for Hypoglycemia: Detection
and Management” will empower the medical students all over the
country and take them one step forward in enhancing their skills as a
4. Outdoor phase will give the medical students to implement their knowledge and reach the mass people easily as well as building awareness through the country
Plans for evaluation:
Before and after participant evaluation by a questionnaire form.