Name of the activity: Global Surgery Croatia Symposium 2019
Country/NMO: Croatia (CroMSIC)
Program: Health Systems
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education. Education on health issues for specific societal groups, either in the form of projects (set of tasks for a certain group over a fixed period of time), events (something notable that happens) or conferences (form meeting about ideas related to a particular topic, usually over several days).
Global Surgery Croatia Symposium is the first symposium dedicated to this important medical field in our country, organized by InciSioN Croatia in collaboration with CroMSIC Zagreb. The aim of the Symposium is introducing Global Surgery to Croatian students, residents, doctors, and other healthcare providers. Since exchange of knowledge and experience us a foundation for advancement for all medical personnel, we hope that all participants will learn more about Global Surgery, gain new ideas and inspiration for their future endeavours. In the end, one of the goals of the Symposium is creating new and strengthen old partnerships and cooperations.
Five billion people lack access to timely surgical care when needed, resulting in 17 million preventable deaths each year and responsibility for one-third of the global burden of disease. Surgical care is an essential part of Universal Health Coverage. Strengthening health systems and achieving the Sustainable Development Goals go hand-in-hand with strengthening surgical systems.
Until recently, Global Surgery has been termed “the neglected stepchild of global public health”.
Medical students, Healthcare Students, Doctors, Other health professionals
General population, Children, Youth, Women, Migrants, Refugees, People with disabilities
Objectives and indicators of success:
1) Introduce Global Surgery to Croatian medical students, doctors and other healthcare providers thorough blocks of lectures
– IoS: have at least 5 lecturers and 80 participants at the Symposium
– IoS: have 2 or more foreign lecturers
2) Introduce InciSioN, with the emphasis on InciSioN Croatia and its work
– IoS: gain at least 50 new members (in a period of a calendar year) who will actively participate in future activities and plans
3) direct students toward Global Surgery as a specialty
– IoS: have at least 2 lectures presenting their work and experience within Global Surgery field
4) Strengthen the existing partnerships and forge new ones
– IoS: include at least 2 internal and 2 external partners and have them present at the Symposium
5) Organize an informal meeting with 2 of our main lecturers about their experience with Global Surgery
– IoS: have at least 15 participants present and actively participating in the conversation
– creating a Facebook event one month before the activity
– sharing the event and news via social media and mailing list on a weekly basis
– presenting lecturers on social media with a short background and a photo
– inviting key stakeholders to the Symposium
– two blocks of lectures with a coffee break in between and a final discussion after all of the lectures
– MedCAFE – an informal 1-2 hour coffee meeting in the most popular medical students’ café, with our key lecturers, dr. Meester and dr. Botman
Plans for evaluation:
– compare the number of InciSioN Croatia members before and after the Symposium
– analyse the number of participants’ countries
– informal interview with all lecturers and a certain amount of passive participants