Name of the activity: HKN-WDD 2018 (Hari Kesehatan Nasional/ National Health Day-World Diabetes Day 2018)
Country/NMO: Indonesia (CIMSA-ISMKI)
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Campaign. Combination of education and advocacy. Campaigns create awareness in society about a certain topic (education aspect) and try to funnel this awareness into pressure on the decision makers to adapt policies accordingly (advocacy aspect).
In celebrating National Health Day and World Diabetes Day in November 2018, and knowing the fact that NCDs especially diabetes have a large role in causing death in Indonesia due to the ignorance of the public about healthy lifestyle, SCOPH CIMSA Indonesia held a campaign titled “HKN-WDD CIMSA 2018” in all CIMSA’s locals all over Indonesia. The campaign invites people to update their knowledge about NCDs especially diabetes. In this campaign, SCOPH CIMSA Indonesia published some infographics, posters, and conducted social education, free health check, public physical activities, and photo campaigns in social media. The important role of the family in diabetes prevention and treatment in their family members also became the main focus of the campaign. This activity also supports the implementation of the Indonesian Ministry of Health program in the community that is GERMAS (Public Healthy Lifestyle program).
Prevention of NCDs and Health Promotion
NCDs are by far the leading cause of death worldwide (71% of the 57 million deaths). The major NCDs responsible for these deaths included CVDs, Ca, CRDs, & diabetes. Indonesia is facing an epidemiological transition in the form of increasing NCDs due to unhealthy lifestyles. In Indonesia NCDs caused more than 1.3 million deaths. There were over 10 million cases of diabetes in Indonesia and it is estimated that by 2030 will reach 21.3 million people.
General population, Medical students
General population, Medical students, Indonesia Health Ministry
Objectives and indicators of success:
– Increase public knowledge and awareness about NCDs especially diabetes through ground and social media campaign from 14th November to 28th November 2018.
– Increase promotive and preventive efforts related to NCDs, especially diabetes, through social education about the importance of healthy lifestyle in every local in November 2018.
– Conducted social education about NCDs (especially diabetes) and healthy lifestyle at least by 20 locals in Indonesia.
– The ground campaign for HKN-WDD CIMSA 2018 participants in each local is at least 50 participants.
– The social media campaign for HKN-WDD CIMSA 2018 reached 300 uploads on Instagram.
Social Media Campaign :
1. HKN-WDD CIMSA 2018 Campaign Challenge
SCOPH CIMSA in partnership with Indonesian Health Ministry and Persadia/ Indonesian Diabetes Community empowering social media users to join photo campaign, by uploading photo with campaign twibbon and caption that contain education about NCDs (especially diabetes) and healthy lifestyle.
2. HKN-WDD 2018 Infographics
SCOPH CIMSA will release an infographic about NCDs and the importance of healthy lifestyle to prevent NCDs (especially diabetes).
Ground Campaign :
1. Poster Campaign Challenge
SCOPH CIMSA in different locals all over Indonesia will educate people with poster about NCDs (especially diabetes) and healthy lifestyle.
3. Local Activities
SCOPH CIMSA in different locals all over Indonesia will celebrate HKN-WDD 2018 through several activities, such as: training for committees, free health check, counseling, talk show, public physical activities and others.
Plans for evaluation:
1. HKN-WDD 2018 Questioner : a questioner that will be answered by people all over Indonesia based on SCOPH CIMSA locals to assess their awareness and knowledge about NCDs especially diabetes.
2. Chat meeting : attended by NPC CIMSA (National Public Health Committee) and LPOs (Local Public Health Officer) to evaluate the activities of each local in celebrating HKN-WDD 2018 and the obstacles that they are facing.
3. Project Team SCOPH CIMSA will monitored each local activities in conducting the social media and ground campaign of HKN-WDD CIMSA 2018 campaign.
4. CIMSA Quality Control of Campaign (CQCC) : to measure the effectiveness of a campaign through marking some indicators.
5. CIMSA Report on HKN-WDD 2018 : a final report of HKN-WDD 2018 from each local all over Indonesia that will be presented by some infographics and articles and will be collected in one publication.