Name of the activity: L’usine des rêves (the dreams’ factory)
Country/NMO: Algeria (Le Souk)
Program: Children Health & Rights
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Third pary activities
The Dreams’ factory is a camp where orphan children are gathered to spend the day , have fun and experience 10 different professions they might be doing in the futur.
We had 10 workshops ( veterinary, painter, pastry chef, teacher, dentist, stylist, policeman, architect, doctor, pharmacist) 50 children were seperated in small group of 5 and had 15 min in each workshop , by the end of the day a geaduation party was organised for the childrens to be awarded, and have some extra fun.
Many algerian children have been left orphans due to silicosis, this occupational lung disease who’s been the cause of death of their fathers who used to work as stonemasoners. Being orphaned at a very young age, makes them deprived of their rights, and we believe that if a child don’t have a family to provide them with the things everyone have we can’t expect from them to be able to do as other children do.
Target groups and beneficiaries:
Target group is : orphans from «Tkout» small village, in Batna, Algeria.
the Beneficiaries are both the children and their mothers.
Objectives and indicators of success:
– For orphans to believe in their dreams.
– For them to think out of the box and know that they are not a victim if a vicious circle ( work as a stonemasoner- silicosis- die) .
– To spend great time, have fun like all the other kids.
– For this experience to be kept in the back of their minds as a source of motivation in the futur.
– 9:00 am the start.
– We had 10 workshops representing 10 jobs|professions|crafts
– Children were separated into small groups of 5.
– Each group was attributed to a workshop
-15 mins was enough to switch from a workshop to another
– 12.00—> 12.30 Lunch Time
-16:00 —> 17:00 GRADUATION PARTY
– All the children were awarded ( with a diploma and a gift)
Plans for evaluation:
– Our biggest goal thourgh this project was to change these kids’ minds on the future. They thought at first that they had to work eventually as stonemasoners and have the same life as their parents. But after this activity and after questionning them, they all changed their minds and decided to do something else.
– Keeping in touch with their mothers and their teachers to see the evolution of their work in school and the effort their making to reach their new dreams.
– Visiting them from time to time , to check on the state of their rights.