Name of the activity: Peer education
Country/NMO: Iraq (IFMSA-Iraq)
Program: Medical Education Systems
Contact information: [email protected] 009647807774377
Type of the activity: Education. Education on health issues for specific societal groups, either in the form of projects (set of tasks for a certain group over a fixed period of time), events (something notable that happens) or conferences (form meeting about ideas related to a particular topic, usually over several days).
The Peer Education program is a series of workshops in which the members themselves are the deliverer of the information, knowledge and skills to their peers, the topics are open, but preferred to be of those that are not quite focused on in the medical school. This program’s idea raised from the problem that most often the students lose attention during the normal routine lectures while they focus more when the explainer is near to their age. The suspected objectives for this program is to develop the members medical knowledge and skills, to cover the important topics that are not pretty much mentioned in the lectures and to give the chance for the members to practice and develop their presentation skills. Two different forms will be opened to separately pick the presenters and the attendance. Evaluation will be made by a post event evaluation form and other feedback taking methods.
Students’ involvement in medical education | Non-formal/informal education
most of the students loses their attention at some point during the lecture,but when the students themselves try to explain the subjects to each other they do not lose attention,so from here arises the idea of the letting the medical schools students to learn some medical skills and knowledge form their peers who has an advanced experience, knowledge presentation skills.Inappropriate environment of teaching,unqualified teachers,usage of old classical ways and methods are all part of the problem.
Medical students, Healthcare Students
Medical students, Healthcare Students
Objectives and indicators of success:
• Objective 1: To let the medical school students develop their knowledge and skills in the medical field
– Indicator of success: those students who attended the workshops would be seen to get the highest grades and highly knowledgeable among their friends about the specific subjects of the workshops.
• Objective 2 : To give members the opportunity of both developing presentation skills and medical knowledge together by delivering these workshops
– Indicator of success: the attendees will reflect a high level of understanding of the topic.
• Objective 3 : To cover most of the important medical topics that are not much mentioned during the lectures in the medical school
– Indicator of success: The students will have a large area of knowledge in different medical topics and aspects.
• Objective 4: MEANINGFUL STUDENTS INVOLVEMENT
– Indicator of success: the impact of the workshop will be of the best as this will be noticed form the participation and their interaction
• Objective 5 : Give / Receive FEEDBACK ,
– Indicator of success: the improvement of students’ ways of communicating with others and giving feedbacks even to the doctors in the college.
In order to achieve our goals and objectives we will open a form that will be filled by the members who want to deliver their topics to other members. Then this form will be reviewed and reviewed by the coordinator and after approving the workshop, the applicant will be directed to confirm the place and time of the workshop and also to prepare his presentation, meanwhile another form will be opened for those who want to attend this workshop.
Plans for evaluation:
For evaluating and measuring the outcomes of the workshops, there are the following suggestions to do so:
– There will be an evaluator person attending the workshop who has a good experience and he will provide a professional feedback on the whole workshop
– There will be debriefing part at the end of the workshop to get an oral feedback about the workshop from the attendees
– There will also be a post-event evaluation form to be filled online by the attendees, including precise questions.
– The names and contact information of the attendees will be saved and in the far future they will be asked if their grades are affected by this workshop