Name of the activity: TOUCH YOURSELF, TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF
Country/NMO: Ecuador (AEMPPI-Ecuador)
Program: Realizing Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Campaign. Combination of education and advocacy. Campaigns create awareness in society about a certain topic (education aspect) and try to funnel this awareness into pressure on the decision makers to adapt policies accordingly (advocacy aspect).
FIRST PHASE Campaign of media distribution in the networks of AEMPPI ECUADOR; in which there will be a ‘Video on: the fears of cancer of: Breast, penis, ovaries, uterus, testicles, and prostate’ ‘.
SECOND PHASE Symposium on cancer of: Breast, penis, ovaries, uterus, testes, and prostate. Directed by 3 qualified specialists: Urologist, Gynecologist and Oncologist.
Where the following topics will be addressed:
• Epidemiology and relevance at the social level.
• Triggering and predisposing factors.
• Clinical presentation.
• Evolution stages.
• Diagnostic measures.
• Self examination and prevention.
• Current treatments.
THIRD PHASE Focuses on the realization of an information campaign directed to the community in general. Where posters, condoms and information on the examination and detection of these different types of cancer by participants in the symposium will be provided.
The attendance of 200 participants is expected. The project cost $ 5.00 per participant.
Comprehensive Sexuality Education
The present project will allow medical students to know the epidemiology and social elevance, triggering and predisposing factors, clinical presentation, stages of evolution, diagnostic measures, self-examination and prevention; and current treatments. According to the WHO, cancer is a disease diagnosed in more than 13 million people around the world that represents the second cause of death in the general population.
General population, Medical students
Objectives and indicators of success:
– Train 200 students of Medical Sciences about the main types of cancers that affect men and women of childbearing age at the level of the male, female and breast reproductive systems; its clinical presentation, stages of evolution, precipitating and predisposing factors, diagnostic and self-examination measures; through a theoretical / practical symposium of 4 hours taught by health professionals in a conference room; to carry out a 4-hour information campaign directed to the community where the importance of self-examination and early detection of these different types of cancer will be explained.
Positive: 80% of positive responses are increased by the average number of attendees.
– Make a social impact video as a media campaign about cancer fears of: Breast, penis, ovaries, uterus, testes, and prostate. To raise awareness in society about this issue and invite participation in the project.
Positive: More than 100 likes, 50 comments, and 20 shares.
– Inform medical students about updates on the subject of oncology of the topics discussed.
– Teach about the correct approach to oncological patients such as general doctor.
Positive:> 50% correctly answers the subject of the case.
• The advertising of the project will be coordinated with VPE through the social networks of AEMPPI Ecuador.
• The project will be coordinated with the different cities through online meetings
• A video about cancer fears will be published: Breast, penis, ovaries, uterus, testes, and prostate. (One week before the project)
• The project poster will be published with the registration link through social networks on (April 1). Evaluation of knowledge prior to the symposium.
• Symposium of 4 hours duration. (6 April 2019)
• Health fair of 2 hours duration. (6 April 2019)
• Sending of questionnaire about knowledge obtained and feedback to the participants one week after the end of the project.
• Submission of the final report of the project up to 2 weeks after the last replication of the project.
• Send certificates to participants up to one month after the last replication of the project.
Plans for evaluation:
● Will be measured that the assistance was effective with the minimum participation of 120 people to the project.
● Carry out two questionnaires on the subject (one prior to the symposium and one subsequent) to measure knowledge.
● The impact at a social level will be measured with the amount of likes, views, comments and shares. In the final feedback of the project questions will be placed to the participants about the video.
● Inform medical students about updates on the subject of oncology of the topics discussed.This will be valued at the end of the symposium to know the opinions on this matter and whether this objective was fulfilled or not.