Name of the activity: My life, my decision
Country/NMO: Venezuela (FEVESOCEM)
Program: HIV/AIDS & Other STIs
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Campaign
On this occasion the medical students are participants in the adherence of antiretroviral treatment of people living with HIV / AIDS (PLWHA). By contacting the services and / or HIV / AIDS programs in the corresponding state, a workshop is coordinated by specialists, invited NGOs, psychiatrists and psychologists to provide a support space and dispel doubts about ART.
Removing stigmatization and empowering people living with HIV, STIs and HIV/AIDS political advocacy
According to current UNAIDS data, there are currently 20.9 million people living with HIV under antiretroviral treatment. The existing data suggest that it is necessary to have a high proportion (95% or more) to maintain suppression of viral replication and failure levels increase rapidly with low levels of adherence. The control of viral replication depends on multiple factors, but the incorrect adherence is the first cause of therapeutic failure related to poor response to treatment, worse immune reconstitution and higher risk of mortality. For these reasons, it is very important that patients are aware of their illness, clearly understand the objective of ART, actively participate in the decision to initiate it, feel able to comply with their treatment and understand the enormous importance of a continuous
Target groups and beneficiaries:
People living with HIV / AIDS (PLWHA)
Objectives and indicators of success:
– Contribute to the adherence to antiretroviral treatment to people living with HIV / AIDS (PLWHA)
– Psychological support for people living with HIV / AIDS (PLWHA)
– Papers are sent via email with bibliographic reviews of the situation of the PLWHA and the situation to the adherence to the antiretrovirals that should review
– It is suggested that each LORA contact an expert on the subject (Doctor, Society, Professor, NGO) that can facilitate the understanding of it. It is recommended to have a psychologist.
– It is recommended the realization of brochures or triptychs to be delivered on the day of the Workshop.
– Make contact in the federal dependencies of the Ministry of Health where they work with the National STD / HIV Program, requesting the name of the coordinator of the regional program to manage permissive to dictate the workshop to seropositive patients who attend the program. Notify if necessary a letter signed by the federation.
– Document the activity carried out (photos, videos). It is recommended not to take pictures of patients, safeguarding their integrity
– The place and date is available to the Local Official, provided that it is within the established deadline.
Plans for evaluation:
Before carrying out the workshop, a round of questions is moderated by the speaker to ask for the level of knowledge on the subject, after this, a test is carried out to measure the knowledge acquired in the workshop.