Name of the activity: POKEMON (Program for Kids Through Education and Management on Nutrition)
Country/NMO: Indonesia (CIMSA-ISMKI)
Program: Healthy Lifestyles & Non-Communicable Diseases
Contact information: [email protected]
Type of the activity: Education. Education on health issues for specific societal groups, either in the form of projects (set of tasks for a certain group over a fixed period of time), events (something notable that happens) or conferences (form meeting about ideas related to a particular topic, usually over several days).
As a community development project, POKEMON has routine activities that held at least once per month. Kinds of our intervention and bonding are including giving education about healthy food and clean and healthy lifestyle, doing a very interactive games, and doing penguin exercise. All of them are led by our POKEMON’s OC. We also giving away free stationaries to the students, the stationaries are sponsored by TOGAMAS (our local stationaries seller). To help us reach out our goals, we form a group of POKEMON officer which consists of 10 students from 4th and 5th school years, we called them “dokter cilik” (little doctor). With the help of homeroom teachers, they functioned as little nutritionist that monitored their friends’ food intake from the Monitoring Card, the results will be followed up by POKEMON’s OC every month.
Children & healthy habits
Based on the survey of malnutrition in East Java reaching out up to 1.8% from the all the toddler or 10% from the whole population.Based on data from Departement of Health in Jember, Sumbersari sub-district has the lowest nutrition intake for toddler throughout Jember District. Students of SDN Karangrejo V have no proper knowledge introduction about good nutrition ,we rarely see students with good and sturdy figure while most of them are short and skinny.
General population, Medical students, Children
Objectives and indicators of success:
To improve the quality of dietary intake among students in SDN Karangrejo V (the first until the fifth school years) up to 50% in 2 days start from the our first follow up
Specific Goals :
1. Target community can become a peer educator about nutrition and nutrients in the environment
2. Educate students of SDN Karangrejo V about nutrition.
3. Increase awareness of the students of SDN Karangrejo V about daily nutritional intake.
4. Train OC about balanced nutrition and develop good programs based community development in an effort to improve public health.
Indicator of success :
– there would be an increasing of healthy food intake in students, which is more than 20 days per month from Monitoring Card. The monitoring would be done by POKEMON’s OC and officers.
– Education about healthy food and clean and healthy lifestyle throughout the students has been completed
– The education about healthy food for students is targeting the homeroom teacherand students. It’s all would be done by OC and based on Panduan Gizi Seimbang (Balanced diet guidelines) that has been published by Indonesian Ministry of Health
– The source of the education that would be given is not limited from ministry of health guidelines, as long as the source is credible
-Conduct training made simple nutritious food for class I-V as a cadre of nutrition so it can be expected to give an example of how to create a balanced nutritious food simply to students and caregivers.
-Interactive games with prizes for all students and class I-V as a means of review of material a given educational intervention activities can collaborate with external parties to more lively doorprize.
Plans for evaluation:
Evaluation methods include:
– POKEMON-CQCA at the end of the execution of the POKEMON.
-Report by the end of the execution of the POKEMON.
– Direct-evaluation by the Committee each completed activity.
POKEMON follow-up methods, includes
:-monitoring cards monitoring that is conducted each month by the homeroom as cadres of nutrition
-monitoring card monitoring monitoring that is conducted every 3 months by the OC.